Tony Tran.

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Hello there.

Since yesterday was Tony Tran's birthday (yes, we're Asians), I shall dedicate my first post to the wonderful man. (Also, it's an excuse for me to re-watch all of his videos but hey, since when do I need such an excuse.)

In case you can't already tell, Tony Tran is one of my favourite dancers. I first heard of the guy when Kaba Modern was on the first season of "America's Best Dance Crew". Prior to ABDC and YouTube, I've never really heard much about the dance scene in California. All I know about dancers were companies and ballerinas (I was trained in ballet and was not really exposed to other genres until I was 12/13). Anyway, when I first saw Kaba's audition, I was blown away by how such small movements can make such a great impact on the audience. You can say I was hooked ever since. Oh, and in case you don't know how much of a beast Tony was (and still is), here's a pre-Jabba Tony.

I mean, look at how smooth and clean the steps are. Also, his musicality. If you watch closely, it's like you can hear the music through his movements. (It also kind of helps that he's cute but I shall leave it as that. Stop spazzing Dan.)

Anyway, fast forward to 2013, when Tony joined the Jabbawockeez. To be honest, I didn't know how to feel when Tony joined the crew. I mean, sure, he's a fantastic dancer, and he suits Jabba's style, but I wasn't sure if that was the right move for him. However, when I watched his recent dance videos, I have to admit, joining Jabba was one of the best things he has ever done. His dance style, already unique and so fluid, got better after joining the crew. I mean, if you were already blown away by him pre-Jabba, you should watch some of his more recent works. If you thought he was good before, he's even better now.



Tell me you can watch this without your jaw dropping. The amount of control he has over his movements, his isolations, the popping, so clean and crisp. It really explains why he's also known as Tony Transformer.

If you thought his choreography was amazing, wait till you see his freestyles. Honestly, it's like the music is playing to his movements. I could go on and on about how he's so unique in the way he translates the music into movement, but I'd rather let you guys see for yourself. Here's an old goodie for you.




I don't even know/understand what goes on in his mind to come up with such steps, but all I know is, that's some ridiculous shit.

Anyway, enough of me praising the heck out of this guy. All I know is, 2015 is and will continue to be a great year for Mr Tony "Transformer" Tran.

Dan out.
[Side note: Welcome dear Shris to the mix!]

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts