ABDC Season 8 Episode 5.

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Image Courtesy of the Kinjaz
What? It's the semi finals already? It feels like it has only been a month since they started competing on the ABDC stage. Oh wait. [Edit: I know that this post is a tad bit too late but I've been busy the past few days. For your information, I have yet to watch the finale and am currently staying away from the usual social media platforms to not be told who won. Of course, when the finale post is up, I would be very much up-to-date on the comments and what not. BACK TO THE POST.]

This week, the crews had to tackle two challenges, namely the VMA Nominee Challenge and their Final Statement. For their first challenge, every crew had to perform a piece to any of the VMA nominated songs. After the three crews perform their pieces, the judges would deliberate and choose which two should move on to the finals.

First up was Quest Crew. Their chosen VMA nominated artist and song was WALK THE MOON's Shut Up And Dance. One word I would use to describe their performance is fun. The entire performance was so enjoyable to watch because you could tell that they're having fun. I would have never paired Quest with the 80s, but after watching their piece, it made a lot of sense to me. Their lighthearted approach is essentially what Quest is, and what the 80s was. From their tricks to their high-energy dancing and their cheesy sense of humour, it was no wonder that I could not stop smiling throughout the two minutes of their performance.

Next to perform was Kinjaz. For their chosen VMA nominated artist and song, they chose, surprise surprise, The Weeknd's Earned It. If you've followed Anthony Lee, Vinh Nguyen or Pat Cruz's YouTube channels/choreography, it would come as no surprise that they'll do something outrightly suave and sexy. It was a matter of when, and of course they had to do it at the end. Again, they were so clean and tight, and basically everything I wanted and expected from them.  Also, I have to say that it was a good call just staying at the bleachers. As great as their past 4 performances were, I really did miss watching their performances on YouTube where there were no cuts to other parts of the stage and the focus was not just on their dancing, but also on how they used the space. Fantastic performance as always.

Final crew to perform their set for the first challenge was Super Cr3w. They did a piece to Jack Ü's Where Are Ü Now featuring Justin Bieber. First of all, I have to say that it's a rather bold song choice because it's not exactly a bboy song, and as Ben mentioned, it has faster tempo than their previous song choices. Again, choreography wasn't their strongest suit but their athleticism was on point, especially considering how fast the song is. That section in the middle with the various freezes and headstands is a great example of such. Choreography-wise, it was rather odd and disjointed for me. It felt like a medley of bboy tricks and what not, mixed in with some parts of movements to the song. All in all, for me, they delivered an "okay" piece.

Now, the judges were left to deliberate on which two crews they would send through to the finals. Surprise surprise, they decided not to exercise their power and left it to the public to choose by letting all three crews through to the finals.

The final challenge of the night was the Final Statement. Basically, it's the crews' last chance to convince the public why they should win ABDC Season 8.

Again, in the same order as the previous, Quest Crew performed their piece. They decided to do a post apocalyptic routine to the song Febreze by Jack Ü featuring 2 Chainz. I have to be honest and say that I expected more from the crew. I mean sure, it was a great routine, but knowing these guys, I felt like I've seen everything they've done in this routine, and was kind of anticipating more hard-hitting/mind-blowing tricks and choreography. This could also be the result of me being a rather jaded Questie but that's just my opinion. Also, as much as I understood why they chose to have a post apocalyptic-themed routine as their final statement, I didn't quite agree with it. To me, the final piece should have been something authentically them, just with higher stakes, as it would be how they leave their mark on the stage and on the show. It really was a good routine, just that maybe it was the wrong time for them to use it. Well, it is difficult to come up with two separate routines for one night. Anyway, it's always great to see Ryanimay shredding his keytar, and seeing as how they have a strong following, I wouldn't be surprised if they win.

Kinjaz did their Final Statement piece to Troyboi's O.G. Now, if you followed the crew at least since the start of the year, this piece has been a long time coming. Whenever Kinjaz does something to Troyboi, everyone knows that it would be ridiculous in the best possible sense. I was not disappointed. The whole routine truly showed what the Kinjaz has and always been, which is something they've not really shown much on the show. There were so many great moments in the routine, like Pat's solo in the beginning and that five-man section with Vinh in the centre. They did what we all know they do best, and danced with the intricacy we expected from them. The routine was not entirely perfect because they weren't super clean, but again, they had to prepare two separate routines for the night. However, as much as I did notice all these little bits that affected the cleanliness of the piece, I have to say, the overall impact was not lost on me. After confusing me (in a positive light) throughout the entire competition, it's a great move to see them end with this piece. As much as I want them to win (mostly because they've never won any season before), it is up to the public to decide their fate.

Super Cr3w ended the night with a performance to The Chemical Brothers' Block Rockin' Beats with a special guest appearance from Qviolin. I have to say, this is one of their best pieces I've seen so far. As much as they aren't good with choreography, with the lighting and the concept, they were able to make this routine seem less disjointed, and far better than their routine earlier. Of course, the breaking was on point, especially with the three solos and the never-ending 2000s, but what made it for me was the acting. I mean, the acting was not so big that I could mention it as a great moment, but it did help tie everything together. The orchestrating of the bboy moves, especially with an expressive Doknock, made the transitions from trick to trick seem more purposeful, which is much better than their usual let's-put-this-trick-after-this-trick-because-we-can. Again (I'm sorry for the lack of vocabulary), this routine is a reminder of how using 'live' music on the show can never do the crew any wrong. First KRNFX, then Ryanimay and now Qviolin. Their solo bboy sections were done to the music, and not like any regular bboys where if I changed the music, it would not have made any difference. Good on them, and I wish them the best of luck with the competition.

Another thing I must mention: Still as kind of awkward as he is, Jason Dundas is starting to grow on me. He's no Mario Lopez, but he seems to be opening up more and warming up to the job. As much as I've mentioned how much the judging improved, for some reason, today's "critiques" were generally just praises and not so much as critiques. I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying that it's because it is their last time judging the crews, and that they know they won't necessarily affect the public's votes, seeing the backlash from the previous episode.

Here's to an awesome finale.

Dan out.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts